Wednesday, March 23, 2011

One Day at a Time on Orcas Island

I like to celebrate the small things. Like the daffodils and my one orange tulip blooming. I talk to my tiny lettuce and chard plants that I am sprouting in the south facing windows each morning.
I bask in the sunshine on our window seat when it finally arives in the spring.

On Monday, Ken and I went off to the River Farm to begin the process of teaching the horses how to pull a forecart. It was such fun to have him with me, and he had a great time putting the equipment together and seeing what needed to be done. The mares were very very fiesty, and it took a while to figure out why.. and then it dawned on me.. the biggest full moon in many years, spring moon, and quess what - they were in season! So the day with the horses did not go as smoothy as it could have, but that's horses for you.

On Tuesday that same moon gave us record low tides. So I convinced Ken to go to our friends'
beach to gather oysters. Yum.. Huge old oysters.. such a find. Cassie our 15 yr old Golden Retriever loving being at the beach, digging for stones and wading in the water.

That night we had a date with the Otters, they also had been gathering oysters from one of Teri's Jin Shin Clients who has a oyster farm.. so we feasted on dozens of oysters drenched in galic and butter and others in hot sauce.. Howard and Sheila joined us and brought an apple crisp from their apple trees. I got to hear more stories of their years in the Arctic teaching native children.

Today I worked with my horses, getting them ready for teaching this spring and summer. It was sunny and they really would have prefered to nap. I have been on Rascal about 6 times this spring and on Black Elk about 3 times. They need work.. Black Elk needs to get the steering down, and I need to stop worrying that he'll buck me off!

2 comments:

  1. It's wonderful to see how much you love your life! I stumbled upon your blog because I've been so intrigued by Orcas Island. I dreamt of the San Juan Islands for 12 years before I even knew what I was dreaming about. I grew up in Ohio, after seeing Free Willy 2 I dreamt at least once a month for 12 years that I lived in that same area (I had no clue where it was) in a house on the water. I knew I was married, I'd get out of bed early in the morning, get dressed, and either go running down a beautiful windy road or go kayaking in the morning mist. Afterwards, I returned home feeling so at peace. I LOVED those dreams. Randomly, my husband and I ended up moving to Stanwood, Wa for a job for my husband, organizing community service projects. His dream and calling in life is to build community and he's great at it! It was then that I learned that Free Willy 2 was filmed in the San Juan Islands only a half hour drive from where we had just moved to! Of course we checked it out and going to the islands is our favorite thing to do! We've had so many special memories there already!

    Another funny thing is I took an online test that computes the towns in the US that would be most suited for you...Eastsound Orcas Island was number 2! haha

    We love that people there seem to be into an organic, slow paced, healthy lifestyle and I feel like maybe we are meant to live there. We just opened up out own business in Stanwood. www.theatriumstanwood.com and will be here for a while learning how to make it successful. But I just have this gut feeling that Orcas Island is calling us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lindsey,
      This is the first time I saw your comment, and I am sorry I didn't see it earlier. It is interesting to hear you say you dreamed of Orcas for so long. I dreamed of this very spot where we are living as well! I was in NJ and I dreamed of a small valley, with woods on one side and a marsh to the east and floating over the valley (where we now have our farm) was an Orca whale - out of it's belly were wonderful things floating down... like peace, prosperity, well being, happiness. We we came to Orcas 25 yrs ago on a vacation, I got off the boat and said in the first minute I was here -"this is it, I have to live here!". My husband said..."what are you talking about, you just got here!"
      So, you see those dreams are telling... my other website, is called Orcasdreams
      just for that reason. We sell real estate.
      I am so glad that you made it as far as Stanwood and can come and spend time on Oras. I have often felt that a 'tribe' of sorts have been called here. There are people who feel like 'my people' even though we rarely hang out, but when we meet on the street or in the grocery store, we share stories like cousins.
      I'd love to meet you when you next come to Orcas to visit, come and meet my horses, and have a cup of tea!
      Kate Wood 376-4642

      Delete