Monday, April 19, 2010

Gardening on Orcas Island

This may be the best spring for gardening I have ever seen on Orcas. Here are my tulips, this was taken about a week ago.. and behind the tulips are my peonies.. those bushes had as many as 75 blooms each last year!  The secret to my success.. well it's 100% pure, organic, composted Mustang Manure!  Yep, and we can supply some to you to- just give us a jingle.
See the heads coming on this Peony already?  So early, weeks early.  Back east in Ringoes I had two Peony plants they were on the south side of my home and I loved those babies, I nurtured them, I fed and watered them and they gave me about 5 or 6 blooms a year. Here on Orcas I put manure on top of almost solid clay and they flourish!

Perfect Tulips everywhere! Tulips thrive in the Pacific Northwest, that is why the Skagit is full of them, the cool nights and warm days make for perfect growing conditions and the blooms last for weeks. Today it's in the mid 60's and feels hotter in the sun. My lettuce are just starting to come up as are our beets and spinach. I have decided to only drink tea I can grow, no more imported tea, so I drink mint tea from the garden. Changes..

My peas are up and this am I ate a veggie omelet from my garden.with beet greens and chives.  If you are looking for a gardening spot on Orcas drop me a line! kate



Spring would not be complet without the return of the Hummingbirds!  Today is the birthday of my most glorious grandson Caleb. Happy Birthday dear one!  He's seven!

3 comments:

  1. Kate, your garden is glorious. I too, am a gardener. Question? what do you do about the ants on your peonies. When I lived in the city (Nashville) I had 3 bushes and loved them. They make beautiful flowers for the dining table in a big pitcher. However, the ants are a big problem. I have not as yet planted a peony at my place in the woods.
    Spring has been awesome here too. The red buds and dogwoods are the best I've seen them. Maybe, it is that as I get older, I am appreciating everything more. Happy Birthday to your precious grandson, Caleb.
    Fondly, Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the manure, Kate!

    ReplyDelete